Guild Wars 2 | Ventari
Ventari is one of the legends available to the new Revenant class. A closer look shows Ventari is quite a significant character in the Guild Wars 2 universe.
Ventari was a centaur, an elder of his clan. His people lived in the Maguuma Jungles. Centaurs and humans were at war, but Ventari came to wish for peace. After being driven out by the Krytan Civil War, he befriended a human, named Ronan. It was Ventari and Ronan who planted the Pale Tree and founded the Grove.
This was to be a sanctury for all people - a place of peace. He eventually wrote down his beliefs on the Ventari Tablet and placed it at the foot of the Pale Tree. When the Firstborn of the Sylvari sprouted 120 years later, the tablets formed their world view.
- Live life well and fully, and waste nothing.
- Do not fear difficulty. Hard ground makes stronger roots.
- The only lasting peace is the peace within your own soul.
- All things have a right to grow. The blossom is brother to the weed.
- Never leave a wrong to ripen into evil or sorrow.
- Act with wisdom, but act.
- From the smallest blade of grass to the largest mountain, where life goes - so, too, should you.
So, how does Mordremoth fit in?
The seed from which the Pale Tree was grown was found by Ronan. The former Shining Blade took it from a cave. It was one of many and it was guarded by powerful plant creatures. He planted it in sorrow, on the graves of his family, slain by the mursaat.
It seems this cave was likely a nursery for Mordremoth, home to the seeds that could spawn his minions. Mordremoth himself slept, and the love and care of Ronan and Ventari allowed the Pale Tree to grow free from his influence. She knew, however, and the strict adherence of the Sylvari under her care to the teachings of Ventari was very much a defence against the return of the dragon.
The song Fear Not This Night is from the perspective of the Pale Tree. Listen again, with a new perspective. This version is a cover by the amazing Malukah.